Wireless baby monitors are a brilliant convienience and make modern parenting simpler and safer. They are packed full of features that help make looking after our little ones easier.
A growing trend is for wireless monitors to utilise your homes wireless network to share the video feed. A typical wireless monitor may have a range of, at best, a few hundred meters. However, a wifi enabled monitor enables you to check up on your little on anywhere you can get the Internet via your phone. In our baby monitors with wifi review, we’ll look at some of the best wifi enabled baby monitors available, along with some of the practical considerations you’ll need to think about.
How do baby monitors with wifi work?
The exact process varies from model to model, but the pattern is fairly similar. You’ll set up the baby monitor in the baby room like a normal monitor. You will then need to connect the camera to your wifi network – much like adding your phone or tablet, you will probably need an access code to securely connect to your router. Once connected, your camera can then communicate with the Internet, and share the live video stream. To make the process of finding your camera easier, most manufacturers have their own Internet services and apps that allow you to view the live stream.
As a parent who works, the ability to check in one my little ones throughout the day is really appealing. It is lovelly to be able to just open the app to see what they are up to, without having to ask, or waiting for, intermitant pictures to be sent. Also, when leaving the babies with the Grandparents, its a nice and easy way to check that everyone is Ok!
Features to look out for in a baby monitor with wifi
There are a few top features to look out for when selecting a baby monitor with wifi:
- Live stream – like other online video services, check what resolution and refresh rate you will be able to recieve via the Internet. The higher the resolution, the better quality the image will be. A low resolution will mean your baby is just a blur of pixels! Of course, you need to have a decent Internet connection at home to support the higher resolution stream.
- Security – make sure that the service is secure, that you can (and do) set a secure password to access the live stream
- Motion sensing – these cameras will send you an email if and when movement is detected
- Temperature – as with non-wifi baby monitors, some will have an integrated room thermometer to check on the temperature of your little ones room.
- Dedicated viewer – again, as with a standard baby monitor, most will come with a dedicated parent viewer. Looking at the stream on your phone is a useful feature, but if you’re at home and someone starts crying, you want to be able to quickly pick up the monitor and see what is going on, not unlocking your phone to start an app!
Are baby monitors with wifi secure?
Once you expose your camera to the Internet, you get the ability to check on your little ones from anywhere in the world, but you are taking a risk.
The main risk is hacking. This is essentially the process where by someone other than yourself gains access to your live video stream. The most common way this happens, is simply through setting a weak password, or any default password that comes with the camera. If you’re smart, then the risks here are tiny. Unfortunately, some people do not follow the recommended guidance. You also need to change your password regularly.
Internet security firm Rapid7 conducted some research in 2015 which looked at the security of wifi enabled baby monitors. All of the monitors they looked at had some form of issue that could potentially be exploited by hackers. The wifi enabled baby monitor software and apps can usually be updated to resolve any known security exploits. So, one of the first things you should do once you’ve purchased a new monitor is make sure that it is completely up to date. With a good password, and up to date software, you should minimise most risks. It also pays to stick to established, well known brands, as they are more likely to be responsive to any issues that are identified with their monitors. In the research report, Rapid7 were unable to contact some of the smaller brands to get any response to the issues they found.
Baby monitors with wifi review
Motorola MBP853 Connect Wi-Fi HD Video Baby Monitor
The Motorola MBP853 baby monitor is a great buy. It features a 3.5-inch colour LCD parent unit which allows you to control the camera via a remote pan, tilt and digital zoom function that gives you a 300 degree view of your baby’s room. You can speak to your baby through the camera and hear their replies with the high sensitivity microphone. The MBP853 has a thermometer so you’ll be able to keep an eye on your babys room temperature and also receive alerts whenever things get too hot or cold. The camera has infrared night vision so you can see what’s going on even at night. Whilst we’re not fans, there are lullabies that might help your little one get to sleep. You can set it up to send free alerts when motion or sound are detected, thanks to the free sound and motion triggered snapshots.
As for smartphones, you’ll need either an Android (4.0 or later) or iOS (7.0 or later) smartphone, tablet or computer via the Hubble for Motorola Monitors app. This lets you see a live video stream when you’re away from home. The Timeline feature keeps track of all saved events that are triggered by your camera’s motion detector, so you can revisit key moments of the day at your leisure.
- Motorised Pan, Tilt and Digital Zoom
- 3.5″ Colour LCD Parent Display Unit
- Two-Way Communication
- Infrared Night Vision
- Room Temperature Monitoring
- 3.5 inch colour LCD display unit
Motorola MBP854 Connect Wi-Fi HD Video Baby Monitor
The Motorola MBP854 is a great upgrade to the MBP853 above, mostly for the improved screen and touch screen parental unit. It boasts all the same featurs, but with a bigger, clearer parental unit it is even easier to keep track of your little ones.
- 4.3″ Parent Unit with Soft Touch Controls
- Two-Way Communication
- Pan, Tilt, Zoom
- Infrared Night Vision