Having a Vitamix blender makes preparing tasty and healthy smoothies, purée and soups quick and easy. And you have complete control over what goes in. As we try to broaden the flavours that our little one is used to, we’ve introduced this simple hummus recipe for toddlers – it’s super yummy and only takes a few minutes!
Basic ingredients – hummus recipe for toddlers
We’ve kept the ingredients simple:
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic (or garlic purée)
- 1 roasted red onion (optional)
How to make toddler friendly hummus
- Drain and add the chickpeas, onion and garlic into the Vitamix
- Add the juice of 1 lemon
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil
- Blend in the Vitamix until a smooth consistency
Introduce new flavours to your toddler
Depending on your babies age and tastes, there are lots of fun things you can add into the hummus to introduce new flavours:
- Add sesame seeds for a more hummusy taste
- Add roasted red peppers and/or tomatoes
- Add carrots to make it orange!
- Add roasted beetroot to make it pink!
Note: Please just be careful with the ingredients and ensure they are age appropriate for your little one. If you are unsure about what is suitable for your baby to eat, check out the NHS’s helpful advice pages and foods to avoid.
Make it more interesting for adults too!
There are also a few additives that adults (and older children) may enjoy:
- Add a bit of salt – we purposefully omitted this from the baby mixture, but it tastes better with a little salt!
- Add a little cumin to give a more rounded flavour
- Add some chopped chilli peppers to make it spicy!
You can always make the baby version, take our their portion and then add some of the above to make the adult portions! You can make a lot of hummus in the Vitamix!
We hope you enjoy making this snack with your children – let us know of any interesting ingredients you add or your own hummus recipe for toddlers!
Featured in this post